10.28.2008

Tortelloni in Vegetable & Herb Broth

Ingredients:
1 red pepper
2 tomatoes
1 courgette (zucchini)
1 carrot
3.5 oz mushrooms
1 tsp olive oil
1 vegetable stock cube
1 packet spinach & ricotta tortelloni
1 Tbsp coriander

Directions:
Core, deseed, and cube red pepper.
Skin, halve, deseed, and cube tomatoes.
Cut courgette and carrot into thin strips.
Slice mushrooms.
Heat oil in a large pan and fry the vegetables for a few minutes.
Crumble the stock cube into 1pt boiling water and add to the vegetables.
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the tortelloni and cook for 7 minutes.
Serve in bowls, sprinkled with coriander.

Source: Somerfield Magazine, November 2008

Serves: 4 (but it actually only served the 2 of us tonight)

Prep Time: The recipe says it will only take 30 minutes. It took me longer because skinning tomatoes is NOT easy.

Marcos' Rating: 8

My Variations:
  • So I didn't use vegetable stock because I didn't have it. Instead, I used chicken stock and it tasted great!
  • I also didn't add mushrooms because I don't like them.
  • My courgette was probably sliced a little too thin, so the slices ended up being a little mushy. But it still tasted great!
  • And I didn't want to buy coriander just for this so instead I added basil and rosemary to the veggies and broth while simmering.
  • A lot of water evaporated before I added the pasta so I added about a cup of water. After serving, Marcos added salt & pepper to taste.
We really enjoyed eating this dish with bread to sop up the liquid. If I make it again, I'll probably leave the tomato skins on and see if it makes any difference. Seriously, who skins tomatoes?!

P.S. We call it "tortellini" in the states.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Hi Ruth, What would be great on this blog is if you could take a picture of the food when it's plated, or when you're done cooking it. I always like seeing what the food is suppose to look like. I'll have to try this recipe know that it's getting in the low 90's here in Arizona. :) Can't wait for it to get a little cooler.

Pam

Bekah B. said...

This blog was a fun little discovery I just found...This makes me love you even more!

Unknown said...

to skin tomatoes:

place them a in a pan of boiling water and leave them in there for a minute or so.

take them out and put into a bowl of cold water.

tomatoes skinned !!!

Ruth said...

Thanks Charlotte! I'll give it a try.