11.28.2008

Onion & Thyme Stuffing

This recipe was really easy and tasted great! I don't like stuffing from a box so I think from now on I'll just make my own so we can both enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 onion
4 sticks celery
6 slices day-old bread
fresh thyme
butter
Vegetable stock
1 egg

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Cube bread & place in bowl. Chop onion and celery. Melt butter over medium heat in saucepan. Add onions & celery. Saute until onions are clear. Add onions & celery to bread. Add thyme, salt, & pepper to taste. Beat egg in separate bowl & add to bread mixture. Mix well. Moisten with vegetable stock & mix. At this point, you can add spices or cheese. Let sit to soak in the liquid for a few minutes. Transfer to a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.

Source: (somewhere online--I'll look for it & then edit this later)

Serves: 2-3 people

Prep time: 15-20 minutes before it goes into the oven

Marcos' rating: 10

Variations/Tips:
Veg Stock: I dissolved a cube of stock that called for 1 cup boiling water. Then I only used about half of that mixture for the bread to soak up.
Bread: I only used 2 hoagie rolls ("petit pains" in UK), about 7 inches long each. That's probably why it didn't make very much. When the bread soaks in the veg stock, remember that it will shrink.
Thyme: This was the first time I've cooked with fresh thyme. The packaging said to wash it before use. But then it was very difficult to scrape the little leaves off when it was wet. I ended up with a ton of leaves all over my fingers and under my nails. Next time I'll wash it and let it dry at the beginning. Then when I need to use it, it should be dry enough. I didn't use any other spices or cheese. Maybe I'll try that another day.
Next time I'll use more of each ingredient to get more finished product.

P.S. I did take a picture, but not until after we had eaten most of it. The picture didn't out well. Sorry Pam. :)

No comments: