2.26.2009

Potato/Macaroni Salad

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes
4 hard boiled eggs
1/2 bag macaroni noodles (about 6 oz. uncooked)
about 4-5 heaping large spoonfuls of Mayonnaise
onions, very finely chopped
celery (I used about 5 stalks)
carrots, chopped

Directions:
Wash & scrub potatoes. Boil with skins on. Check with a fork to see if done (should slip off fork). Let cool. Then peel & chop. (I left them in pretty big chunks.)

Boil eggs. Let cool. Then slice.

Boil macaroni noodles. Let cool.

In a big bowl, put potatoes, eggs, and macaroni. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Then add mayo one or two spoonfuls at time. Continue to add mayo until everything is moistened. Add salt & pepper to taste.

I actually divided my ingredients into two bowls (so it made two salads) and then combined at the end. I found that to be easier when mixing in the mayo.

This makes great left-overs, but you may have to add more mayo as time goes by because the mayo seems to seep into the potatoes & noodles.

Prep time: This takes some time because you have three things to boil & then allow to cool. If you have enough big pots, and you don't mind your house heating up, you can have everything going at the same time. By the time you're done chopping veggies, the noodles should be done. Anyway, I'd say to plan on at least an hour of preparing this dish. But it's totally worth it!

Source: Adapted from my mom's recipe (see below)

Variations:
My mom's original recipe calls for 10 potatoes, 6 eggs, 3/4 bag noodles, a whole jar of mayo, onions, celery, carrots, and a bag of frozen peas. You're supposed to let the peas thaw before mixing them in. But we don't like peas so I don't add them. Oh, and she seasons with salt, pepper, and celery salt.

Marcos' Rating: 15

No comments: