11.27.2009

Lomo Saltado

This is one of my favorite dishes from my mission. It is a Peruvian dish. And every time Marcos and I go to a Peruvian restaurant, we have to order this!

Ingredients:
1 lb. tenderloin or chicken, cut into small pieces (2x1/2" wide strips)
2 sliced onions
2 tomatoes, peeled & cut
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Parsley, chopped
1 red or green sweet pepper, cut in strips
salt & pepper
Hot, cooked french fries

Directions:
Brown mean in oil. Add onions, tomatoes, pepper, and parsley. Cook until meat is tender. Just before serving, toss in the french fries. Serve, usually over rice. (Note: add a little liquid when cooking if it seems dry; this recipe should come out slightly juicy.)

Prep Time: a good 30 mins due to all the chopping (and peeling that tomato--which I hate doing) and then you're cooking for about 30 mins as well

Source: www.cook.com

Variations: So next time I'll definitely do both red and green pepper (instead of just one). And I'll make sure I cut that chicken into smaller strips. Marcos ended up putting his rice in the skillet with his food, but I didn't like it that way. Oh, and I won't drain the fat after cooking the chicken (which wasn't in the recipe, but for some reason I drained it and then it was really dry.)

Marcos Rating: 6 (but he LOVES the real stuff so we're going to keep looking for a better recipe for this dish!)

1 comment:

Spencer and Rosie said...

Thanks! I am so SO excited to try this...it's my favorite! And my dad has tried to teach me how, but the way he does it is way more complicated. And this looks simple I will let you know how it goes... :)